Friday 14 November 2014

Isn't it amazing?

Isn't it amazing at how well our bodies work?  In a non-diabetic, insulin and glycogen work to stabilise the amount of glucose in the blood.  Normal values are between 5 and 7 mmol of glucose per litre of blood.



Diagram found on http://www.biology-online.org/4/3_blood_sugar.htm

I find it amazing that crude injections of insulin will keep a diabetic alive!  Over the years the method, timing and duration of insulin has improved so it more mimics the normal human system. 

Insulin is required for the glucose in the blood to gain entry into cells to be used for energy.  In type 2 diabetes, the receptors on the cells do not work properly so glucose cannot enter the cells.  The pancreas works harder to create more insulin and eventually 'tires' and stops producing insulin all together.

In type 1 diabetes the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin (beta cells) are attacked by the immune system, and there is no insulin produced.

I am having a blood test to find out whether I am producing any of my own insulin (c-peptide test) - but this will not tell me whether I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.  I should have the GAD antibody test which will show whether I have the antibodies which are destroying my own cells.  


No comments:

Post a Comment