Tuesday 25 November 2014

Check up

Yesterday I went to my GP surgery to see the nurse.  I was hoping that she would have the results from my blood test last week, which included the c-peptide test to determine whether I am producing any insulin.  Unfortunately this test does take some time, so no result yet.  It is possible that the hospital will not let the GP know and that I won't get the result until I go to the hospital again in 6 months time!  Oh well, I guess it's the same treatment whether or not I am producing insulin!

I have been cutting down on carbohydrates, and avoiding rice, bread, pasta etc.  I am beginning to get used to it now, and enjoying finding different things to eat and drink.  I decided not to tell my nurse as I have read on the forum (www.diabetic.co.uk/forum) that the NHS are not too fond of the idea.  I don't want to create any conflict as I do appreciate her support.  She is a very nice person and very positive and uplifting.  But i did start to tell her that I have been testing postprandial, and finding that some foods 'spike' me quite high.  She immediately said 'You don't want to worry about that!' and crossed through the spaces in my book so that I couldn't test then any more!!!

My feelings are that non-diabetics would not get a spike after meals, so why should I as a diabetic tolerate it?  I do think that having blood sugars swinging violently from normal to high and sometimes back too low is what has made me feel under par for the past few months.  If I can do something about the spikes then it can only be good for me. The only thing that I can do to reduce the spikes is to cut out the carbohydrates that are producing the spikes.  The Hb1Ac test shows the average blood sugar for the past 3 months, and even short periods of time at high levels will affect it.

By the way, Hb1Ac is still at 9.5.  I wasn't expecting another drop so soon.  Still a way to go to get it below 7.  Just these last few days I have got BS readings consistenetly below 10.  Now to get it below 7!  May have to be brave enough to inject a bit more insulin - I am always worried about hypos!

But I forgot my insulin this morning!!!  I ate a weightwatchers choc bar before I went out to sewing class, and tested before lunch.  I was expecting a low reading, but it was 12.2!!  EEK!  Looking in my notebook, I had not written down my units, and I could not remember injecting.  So I have injected 6u just before lunch.  Much less than usual so that it doesn't clash with evening insulin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment