Thursday 13 November 2014

Not so good today...

I am interrupting my story to record how awful today has been!  I was out for dinner last night at a thai restaurant.  I did my research before we went and decided to have a thai stirfry in oyster sauce.   I even looked up the amount of carbs in oyster sauce (11g in 100g of suace if you are interested)  I wasn't sure how much oyster sauce I would get in a portion of stirfry but decided it was the best on the menu.  I also had a small glass of dry white wine.  I avoided the prawn crackers, just having 1.  That was hard, I love prawn crackers!!  My portion of stirfry was very tasty but not enough.  I ended up eating mine far before my friends had finished theirs!  It would have been wonderful with lashings of white rice, but that looked like poison to me, as I knew it would spike my blood sugars really high.  The restaurant poured us a small glass of Baileys which I am afraid to say I did drink.

So I did feel hungry when I went to bed, but blood sugars were 11, so I just had my low fat hot choc which has a carb content of 3g per serving.  At 5.20am I awoke feeling really weird!  Of course, it was the one night I had forgotten to take my meter upstairs with me!  A trip to the loo and then downstairs for my meter, blood sugars 3.3, eeek!  I ate about 5 glucose tablets and tested again a few minutes later.  I also ate a fruit muesli bar.  After about 15 mins or so I began to feel better and went back to sleep.

I stayed in bed a bit longer as I had had the hypo in the night.  BS 12, only to be expected.  So I decided to go for a walk after breakfast of 1 poached egg on small slice of sourdough bread.  I took my usual 10u insulin after I had eaten.  I usually try and take it just before I eat, but isn't it funny, I can be reading the diabetes forum and still not remember to take my insulin!  After I got back from the walk BS were 11.2, so I drunk a bulletproof coffee (1tsp coconut oil and 1tsp butter)and decided not to have a snack with it.  I went back outside to fill the green bin.  The walk or the gardening were hardly arduous exercise!  But then when I came back in my BS had crashed down to 3.6 and I felt dreadful!  I drank some lucozade, tested again 5 mins later 10.5, which may have been a rogue reading, as I tested again 4.3, but still felt awful, so waited another 5 mins, BS back down to 3.2.  After another swig or 2 of lucozade, my BS started to rise.  Phew!  But I felt bad for quite some time, sort of shaky, anxious, and a bit nauseous.  I went upstairs to have  a shower.  I must admit to having visions of me collapsing in the shower and the kids coming home to the not-such-pretty sight!

I made my usual salad and cheese lunch but had a cup-a-soup with it.  They are about 14g carb, and of course really fast acting.  1 hour later my BS was 19.4!  I went to CAB, but really didn't feel very with it, I seem to have ended up with massive brain fog after 2 hypos in quick succession.  I'm guessing it's the fast rise of BS that makes me feel so rough.

So why the hypos?  The wine?  but it was only 1 small glass.  Not enough to eat?  Maybe.  Maybe not enough carbs in dinner.  The exercise this morning?  Obviously, that contributed to today's hypo.

It is very scary having a hypo, especially when I don't start to feel better quickly.  And I always seem to over treat, so have a massive post-hypo rise in BS which cannot be good and must make me feel worse.

Now what I do about tonight and tomorrows insulin?  Shall I take less?  I think I will drop by 2 u for both tonight and tomorrow.  Bet that means I'll have higher BS tomorrow, sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment