Thursday 20 November 2014

Why me?

Since my symptoms started, not a minute has gone past without me thinking about my disease.  Are my blood sugars too high?  or too low?  Have I eaten the wrong thing?  Have I eaten at the wrong time?  Have I remembered my insulin injection?  Have I tested my blood?  Have I tested too much?  Will the GP keep prescribing all the things I need?  Diabetes is not something I have thought about much before my diagnosis.  Yes my Dad had type 2, but we all thought that it was something to do with his myeloma, and anyway, the myeloma was a much more serious condition.

Recently, there has been much publicity about type 2 diabetes, and the 'obesity' epidemic.  But, I have not been obese!  I have been moderately overweight for the last 20 years or so, and a little bit yo-yo with my weight, but only by 1 stone (14lbs) or so.  I have been to weightwatchers a few times and regularly attended Rosemary Conley for a number of years.  Although I do not class myself  as athletic in anyway, I have done regular exercise over the years.  Most recently I attend a local gym for 4 classes per week, and up until last year walked our dog for at least 1 hour a day.  I cycle once or twice a week, especially if I want to go into town and try to always cycle to CAB.

So a question I keep having to ask is - why me?  I have to pinch myself sometimes as though I will wake myself from a horrible dream.  Here I am injecting myself with insulin twice a day!!!  Gone are the 'carefree' days now.  I have to inject the correct amount of insulin, and watch what I eat, as there are extreme dangers with too high or too low blood sugars.  It is a life long condition that will not go away.

It is something I have to learn to live with.  I need to be in control of my life, not let diabetes control me.  I am very grateful for the support from family and friends, and from the internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment